Poker 2-7 Lowball Rules
Poker 2-7 Lowball is a game which is generally won by the player with the worst traditional poker hand. Because of this, traditionally strong hands such as a straight or a flush are poor hands in 2-7 Lowball. Rules are the same as for A-5 Lowball, apart from the exceptions detailed below:
- The ace is a high card only.
- The best possible hand in a game of 2-7 Lowball is 7-5-4-3-2 with two or more suits.
- 5-4-3-2-A is not a straight in 2-7 Lowball, but an Ace, 5 high. This means that it would beat pairs and other Ace high hands, but would be inferior to a King high.
- AA is the highest pair in 2-7 Lowball, so is beaten by any other pair.
- Straights and flushes count against a hand.
- Check-raising is allowed after the draw.
- Prior to the draw, a player who has a 7, 5, 4, 3, or 2 card which is exposed must retain it. A player with any other exposed card must have that card replaced.
- It is not necessary for a player to have a seven or better in order to bet.
- The best possible hand in a game of A-5 Lowball poker is 5-4-3-2-A. Straights and flushes do not count against it.
- In a game where the joker is in play, it will represent the lowest card absent from your hand.
- Check-raising is not allowed in limit games.
- In limit games, a player who has a A, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7 card which is exposed must retain it. A player with any other exposed card must have that card replaced at the end of the deal.
- Should any exposed cards occur, the first exposed card which is replaced will be used as the burn card.
- In limit games, if a player checks a seven or better and that hand is the best hand, all action following the draw is void and no money can be won on later bets. Should a player check a seven or better and lose, that player will lose all bets made before or after the draw.
- Further to the previous rule, if a player moves all in after the draw with an amount less than half the usual bet, the seven or better player may call the same amount and win that bet. But if another player bets over this amount and loses, the amount paid over will be refunded to the losing player.